Monday, August 29, 2011

Maybelline ExpertWear Eyeshadow Quad in Velvet Crush

I was grocery shopping with my family at Foodland and I was looking around not expecting to buy anything but as I was walking past the makeup section to the magazine section I noticed that all Maybelline products were 50% off. Wow! What an amazing deal! I picked up two lipsticks and two eyeshadow quads.

This is what the eyeshadows look like in the pan [left] and on the skin [right]. I think that the quad looks modern and sleek but really? Who needs that much of the "base" color? It is more like a highlight color/inner corner of the eye color. These eyeshadows--when used along--have zero staying power. That is why I HIGHLY reccomend using a primer or MAC paint pot. These colors hardly last on their own but with a primer they actually last a long time.

I think the shades in this quad are lovely. Really nice. They're not super pigmented but they do have fairly good pay off--except for the lightest purple in the upper right-hand corner [aka the lid color]. It was so hard to work with. It was chalky and flaky. When I was swatching it I had to go-over the swatch so many times. All the other colors were fine. I just don't know what was wrong with this one.

The makeup look in natural light.

I pretty much followed the instructions on the back of the quad when it came to application save a few minor details. First, I used MAC's paint pot in Painterly to keep the shadows lasting longer. Then, I used the dark grey shade to darken my outer corner as well as line my eyes. I also used a dusting of the lid color under my lower lashes and used the base color to brighten the inner corner of my eye. Finally, I did use mascara when I took these pictures. CoverGirl's Lash Blast in particular.

The makeup look with flash.

I hoped you liked today's post! I'm planning on doing swatches for the second quad I bought and for all the lipsticks as well. I think other than outfit posts, swatch posts are my favorite. Although I always forget to do them or I'm just too lazy. But I am resolute! More swatch posts are coming you're way! Thank you for reading and I hope you come back tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. I love this, have you seen Urban Decays 'Naked' pallet? Check out my blog post on it:
    http://www.herroyallucieness.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I have a quad like this one, and I like it. Thanks for your review!

    xo, gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous swatches! I think my sister actually has this palette.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...